Colorado Springs, CO asked in Child Support and Family Law for Colorado

Q: I have a daughter who was born in and lives in Lima Ohio and I live in Colorado Springs. How can Colorado child support

How can Colorado hold me in contempt of court if I've never been to court in Colorado?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Steven  Visser
Steven Visser
  • Colorado Springs, CO
  • Licensed in Colorado

A: It sounds like a Court in Ohio may have established a child support order for your daughter, and then those Orders may have been "registered" in Colorado because you live here. In order to hold you in contempt, there has to be Orders that you are alleged to have violated. I do not know all of the facts surrounding this case, but whether or not the orders were established in Ohio or in Colorado, there are specific elements for contempt that must be proven at hearing.

In other words, whoever filed the contempt would have to establish at hearing that there are valid court orders in place, that you had knowledge of those orders, that you have failed to comply with those orders, that you had the ability and /or present ability to comply with the orders, and in the case of punitive contempt, that you willfully failed to comply with those orders.

Even if you have not yet been to Court in Colorado, you should find out when is the next court proceeding and hire counsel to assist you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.