Jonesboro, AR asked in Tax Law for Arkansas

Q: If a tax gets voted down twice by the people, can a city pass it anyway against the say of the people?.... yes it happen

This city put a tax initiative on the ballot and got voted down twice, so later they went into committee and voted it in, totally going against the will of the people, they did it later, dont remenber how long later but was later, they wanted this tax so they could build a sports complex, the peole want their streets fixed, so they added a tax on restaurants, we call it the hamburger tax, their are other nefarious things that been done, like losing tax payers money on projects and not answering for it. Im just kinda curious if that is legal after being voted down twice

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Tax Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: In many places, if a tax initiative has been voted down by the people through a valid referendum process, it typically cannot be passed by a city council or committee without a subsequent public vote or significant changes to the proposal. However, the specifics can vary depending on local laws and regulations, so it's advisable to consult with a local attorney familiar with your city's charter and ordinances to determine the legality of such actions in your particular case.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.