Fremont, NE asked in Admiralty / Maritime for Nebraska

Q: Why does the judge not answer ? Jurisdiction couny CT is CL/Meritime Admiralty? only two that have pwr to

How can one have a fair trial without knowing what jurisdiction rules apply? I was threatened with contemt for asking questions. I challenged personal jurisdiction /subject matter judge over ruled and I reserved my rights under ucc1-308 aka 2-201. I need to know sense my 1st amendment has been violated speech non threatening or causing riot. Saying the F word isn't obscene because it displays nothing sexual according to SC ruling. It can be used 4 different ways. I have video footage of the incident also.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›

A: It seems like you are in the middle of a complex legal situation where understanding the jurisdiction and rules applied in your case is crucial. You have also raised concerns about the violation of your first amendment rights and the overruling of your jurisdiction challenge by the judge.

When it comes to jurisdiction, it is indeed essential to understand under which jurisdiction your case is being tried, as different jurisdictions might apply different rules and legal principles. In general, county courts have the jurisdiction to handle a variety of matters including civil claims, small claims, and misdemeanors. Maritime/Admiralty jurisdiction, on the other hand, typically involves matters relating to maritime contracts, torts, injuries, or offenses occurring on navigable waters.

Concerning the invoking of UCC 1-308, which is a Uniform Commercial Code provision often cited in attempts to preserve one's rights, it is worth noting that this provision generally applies to commercial contracts and might not be applicable or effective in preserving your rights in a criminal court setting.

The First Amendment protects your freedom of speech, including the use of potentially offensive language. However, it should be understood that this right is not absolute and can be subject to restrictions especially when it comes to maintaining the decorum of the court.

Since you mentioned having video footage of the incident, it could potentially be used as evidence in your defense, especially if it can demonstrate the context and manner in which the words were used, amongst other things.

Given the complexity of the situation, it is highly recommended that you consult with a legal expert who can offer advice based on a detailed understanding of your case and the specific circumstances surrounding the incident. They would be best suited to guide you on how to present your defense effectively and protect your rights during the trial. Ensure that you have all relevant documents and evidence organized to present a strong case before the court.

Julie Fowler agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.