Bloomington, IL asked in Traffic Tickets for Illinois

Q: Hi, I recently received a court appearance ticket for speeding. I wanted to see what I can do about this.

On the ticket it says I was going 35 miles above the speed limit. I don’t think this is accurate and the officers did not have evidence for this. But I did accept that I was speeding but I did not mention how fast I was going. Is there anything I can do to get this changed?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Theodore J. Harvatin
Theodore J. Harvatin pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Traffic Tickets Lawyer
  • Springfield, IL
  • Licensed in Illinois

A: This is one of those things that really depends upon the court system you are involved with. Some judges and prosecutors are rigid and others will compromise. Locate a lawyer in the county where you received the ticket, who appears regularly in traffic court. Right now, if you plead, guilty, it is a criminal offense, albeit a low level one, but it is a misdemeanor.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.