McDonough, GA asked in Child Support and Family Law for Georgia

Q: I filed child support about 2 years ago. Child support claim, they still can’t found him. He’s not responding 2 letters.

When I filed for child support . I gave his ss#. What other options do I have.

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
T. Augustus Claus
T. Augustus Claus pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›

A: If you've filed for child support and have been unable to locate the other parent, it can be a frustrating and challenging situation. To address this, your first step should be to contact your local child support enforcement agency. They have specialized tools and resources for tracking down noncustodial parents, even if they've moved or changed contact information.

When communicating with the child support agency, provide them with any additional information you may have about the other parent, such as their last-known address, place of employment, or the names of relatives. This can assist in their efforts to locate the individual.

Alake Colwell Furlow
Alake Colwell Furlow
  • Dacula, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: My best advice would be to hire a private attorney to file a child support action. They can assist you in locating the defendant for service, which will move your case forward. They can also assist with setting up service if that becomes necessary if the defendant can't be located at a job or residence. And an attorney can gather accurate financial information and obtain all of the defendant's assets in order to complete a proper child support worksheet, which sometimes the state will not do, especially when it comes to self-employment. Without a private attorney you might continue waiting on a case that is unlikely to move forward through the state.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.