Asked in Criminal Law for Nebraska

Q: What if they are facing multiple felonies but the lawyer doesn't want to look up any facts or find evidence.

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers

A: Hire a professional licensed private investigator to investigate the facts and to provide competent admissible evidence to their lawyer. Private investigators are less expensive and specifically trained in providing such services and generally have fewer limitations on what they can legally do.

Julie Fowler
Julie Fowler
  • Omaha, NE
  • Licensed in Nebraska

A: I generally agree with the other attorney.

Also, if you are not happy with the legal services you are currently receiving, it may be time to hire a different attorney.

Keep in mind that the court action includes a discovery process. It is possible that the attorney is waiting to see what information they receive from the prosecutor (videos, statements, etc.) as part of the discovery process to then determine what is the best strategy for gathering evidence to refute such.

You wouldn't want to pay for a private investigator who ends up accidentally finding evidence that is helpful for the prosecution and then ethically having to disclose such to the prosecutor's office. Thus, there may be a strategy as to why the attorney is acting or not acting yet.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.