Asked in Traffic Tickets for Illinois

Q: My boyfriend got a speeding ticket (35+) He paid his fine and was told to complete a defensive driving class.

My boyfriend got a speeding ticket (35+) He paid his fine and was told to complete a defensive driving class. When he went to sign up for the class there was nothing available before his court date. His lawyer went to court on his behalf and extended it a few weeks but still no classes available. His court date is this week - he has not completed his class and his lawyer is ignoring all texts and phone calls. He does NOT owe the lawyer any outstanding fees. I appreciate your assistance! Dupage County IL

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Christine S. Janis
Christine S. Janis pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Traffic Tickets Lawyer
  • Barrington, IL
  • Licensed in Illinois

A: So long as the delay in his completion of the defensive driving class was out of his control (i.e. no classes available), the court should be willing to continue the matter. What he wants to avoid is having the court grant a "Petition to Revoke" his original sentence, as he could then face the full penalty for his speeding offense (which is a Class A misdemeanor, punishable by up to one year in county jail and a fine of $2500.00).

If he is unable to contact his attorney and there are no outstanding fees owed, he has the right to seek new counsel to assist him in getting through this phase of his case. If you still need assistance in this matter, please feel free to contact me, as I practice regularly in DuPage County traffic courts. Good luck!

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.