St Louis, MO asked in Family Law for Missouri

Q: Can my custodial guardian allow me to move out at 17 without my other parents consent or knowledge?

I moved out of my dads house due to him mistreating me and my mother is for me moving out.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
T. Augustus Claus
T. Augustus Claus pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›

A: In Missouri, the legal age of majority is 18, which means that individuals are generally considered adults at this age. However, Missouri law does allow for certain emancipation scenarios, which could potentially allow a minor to live independently before turning 18.

Emancipation usually requires a court order, and it's generally not a simple process. It typically involves demonstrating that you are financially self-sufficient and capable of making responsible decisions on your own. Additionally, both parents are typically involved in the process unless one parent's rights have been terminated or they have given up their rights voluntarily.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.