Asked in Divorce and Family Law for Georgia

Q: How do I get divorced if I was married in Canada and I'm a US citizen? We've been separated for 10 years.

This was 10 years ago I was 19 years old young and dumb. I only was there for 6 months I never got dual citizenship and I live in the States now and he lives still in Canada we're still married and I don't know how to get divorced because we were married there and I'm a US citizen and I know the steps to go about it here kind of but I don't know if it changes because it was Canada. I was only in Canada for 6 months and I am classified as a Georgia resident and have a Georgia driver's license. What are the steps I need to take to officially divorce him? We have no shared property of any sort accounts etc, and no children whatsoever. I do know his location so I can send him paperwork if need be as well.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer

A: Either spouse may file for divorce in the jurisdiction where they reside once they meet the applicable residency requirements.

While relevant, the place of marriage is not dispositive on the question of jurisdiction.

If you had a child, any accompanying custody and support issues would be subject to the jurisdiction where the child is residing.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.