Macon, GA asked in Divorce, Family Law and Child Custody for Georgia

Q: I am trying to get a cheap and quick divorce with full custody of my daughter. Her father and I have an agreement.

The agreement is he gets her every other weekend. He does not have a job or any income coming in, I still provide everything for her while she's over there. I do not know if that changes things but this works with us. We just want to get this divorce finalized and custody agreement legal. I have heard of doing a uncontested divorce and its cheap and fast. If me and him agree to everything what will be my next move? We are not wanting to get courts and lawyers involved.

1 Lawyer Answer
Ellaretha Coleman
Ellaretha Coleman
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Atlanta, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: To obtain a divorce, you will have to have the courts involved. Only a judge can issue a divorce decree. Most counties have a self-serve legal assistance office where you can get assistance filling out the uncontested divorce forms. They are also on most counties' clerk of court websites to download.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.