Asked in Family Law and Legal Malpractice for Tennessee

Q: Legal heir can be newly added after 1year in an given certificate. By showing new guideline given.

Sir my friend husband passed in 2021 .actually his father supported her to legal heir certificate by adding mother widow and son and get legal heir certificate in 2022 Feb month then they split their shares given by insurance company. Now his father asking for a share that he has rights in new go guidelines and send notice for us. In the go clearly mentioned 90 days for changing name and correction. Is this possible to cancelled or add a name to given legal heir certificate by RI after 1 year sir.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Anthony M. Avery
Anthony M. Avery pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Knoxville, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: I do not know what a heir certificate is, but you are probably talking about an affidavit of heirship that determines a decedent's heirs under oath. Also I do not know what a go guideline is. If this is some type of TN child support, it has nothing to do with insurance already paid out after an obligor dies. The father will probably have to sue the insurance company as well as the paid out beneficiaries. His breach of contract suit will be difficult and probably unsuccessful.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.