Wesley Chapel, FL asked in Personal Injury and Workers' Compensation for Florida

Q: I work as a behavioral interventionist for a Pasco county school. I was attacked by a child .

He dislocated my knee and foot was injured. the school knows of his issues yet refuses to put this child where he can get the help he needs. I will not be able to return to my profession due to my injuries. He attacks other students and teachers..kicking, biting, etc.

1 Lawyer Answer
Stephen Arnold Black
Stephen Arnold Black
  • Orlando, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: So any injury that occurs on the job entitles you to Worker’s Compensation through your employer. However, if it is a third-party that injured you, you can pursue a claim against the child’s parents provided that the parents knew or should’ve known that their child was extremely dangerous, and were negligent in exposing third parties , like yourself, to risk of injury. If they have renters or homeowners insurance, that would be a good source to recover against. You should discuss your case with counsel here in the state of Florida about contingency-fee representation, which means you don’t pay anything, unless you win the case.

Tim Akpinar agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.