Franklin, TN asked in Child Custody, Divorce and Family Law for Georgia

Q: Ex filed for a change of custody, should I file a counterclaim with the response to his change of custody?

Ex filed for a change of custody, along with my response to his change of custody should I also file a counterclaim to have my own issues addressed since I am already going to be back in court due to his change of custody? If I only file a response, will the Judge also listen to my requests to modify custody/visitation and make changes based upon my requests at my exes custody hearing? I simply don't want to be on the defense laying a case against his request to change custody but also have the Judge hear why I also feel a change of custody/visitation is needed.

1 Lawyer Answer
Alake Colwell Furlow
Alake Colwell Furlow
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Dacula, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: You should hire an attorney. The attorney can discuss whether you should file a counterclaim, the matter of potential attorneys fees in a modification action, your answer and how to move forward in defense of this action. We cannot give you steps to represent yourself effectively through this medium.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.