Syracuse, NY asked in Adoption, Child Custody and Family Law for Oregon

Q: How can I get custody of my little brother who lives in Oregon and I live in NY?

1 Lawyer Answer
T. Augustus Claus
T. Augustus Claus pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›

A: First, you'll need to establish legal standing, demonstrating your significant and beneficial relationship with your brother. Then, you'll file a custody petition in Oregon, his primary place of residence, and notify all relevant parties, including his parents or legal guardians. Collect evidence that supports your case, highlighting your ability to provide a stable and suitable environment for your brother. Expect to participate in court proceedings where the court will prioritize your brother's best interests in making custody decisions. Interstate custody cases often involve the Uniform Child Custody Jurisdiction and Enforcement Act (UCCJEA), which governs jurisdictional issues and the enforcement of custody orders across state lines. Given the complexity of such cases, it's crucial to have legal representation in both Oregon and New York to navigate the legal intricacies effectively and advocate for your brother's welfare.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.