Minneapolis, MN asked in Child Support for Minnesota

Q: My dad owes child support, and I’d rather have him be relieved of it, so he can get a license and improve his own life

Only one of his kids hasn’t turned 18, with full consent from the mothers, would it be possible to fully alleviate him of all past owed child support? Me and my mom know, we’re never going to get it, I think she’d agree to it, if it was going to help him turn his life around so he can be there for his grandkids. I don’t really like him, but I believe he’s still a person, and he needs help.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Robert Kane
Robert Kane
  • Eagan, MN
  • Licensed in Minnesota

A: Your mother can stipulate as to the amount of arrears owed her. She cannot do anything regarding the amount he owes to the government (i.e. taxpayers.)

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.