Knoxville, TN asked in Real Estate Law for Tennessee

Q: I am a land owner in New Market, TN. My neighbor who owns the adjoining property has begun building a house above me.

They installed a driveway and a culvert under their driveway directing all water flow, mud , rock, etc. from their upper lot of 6 acres onto my land. Had they installed the culvert a mere 6 feet higher the flow of water and debris would have washed onto their own property. In years of owning our land there was no water flow what so ever in this area of the property. No "Natural Flow" onto my land in this area. The neighbor has had the excavator create a flow from the upper land where a house is being built and directed the water flow down the new driveway only a short distance through the land until it reaches our adjoining land then had the culvert cross under the driveway coming out directly aiming at my land instead of continuing down the 300 ft + driveway. It is causing wash out, sinking ground, mud, grass damage, rocks to be washed onto my land causing a path towards my future build site. What can we do?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Anthony M. Avery
Anthony M. Avery pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Knoxville, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: That is a 3 year SOL for a property tort. You will need an engineering expert and contractors as witnesses to prove damages and the cause of action. Also a good lawyer. It has alot to do with how valuable your land is, as even a judgment for you will probably be appealed. A boundary line survey may be required. It will be difficult and expensive.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.