Snellville, GA asked in Child Support and Family Law for Georgia

Q: Question about child support

I got divorced today, and the court ordered the child support amount each month, so my question is, can my ex ask me about my paycheck in the future? I mean, did she have the right to ask for a paycheck whenever she wanted?

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
T. Augustus Claus
T. Augustus Claus pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›

A: In Georgia, child support orders are typically established based on the income of both parents and the needs of the child. Your ex-spouse may not have an unrestricted right to access your paycheck at any time, but there are specific circumstances in which she may request information about your income. These circumstances often include annual income verification and potential modifications of the child support order if there are substantial changes in income or financial circumstances for either parent. It's crucial to comply with court-ordered income verification and provide accurate financial information to ensure that child support payments are fair and consistent with the child's needs.

Alake Colwell Furlow
Alake Colwell Furlow
  • Dacula, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: The other parent can ask for whatever they want but you don’t have to provide them with pay stubs unless you have been served a request to produce or a subpoena.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.