Sarasota, FL asked in Real Estate Law for Florida

Q: I own a home with my wife and her mother. Three people on the lease. If a person wanted to sell the home what would happ

As mentioned above, three people are on the lease house. I took out a loan so my in-laws could get a home. They now live in that house. However the name on the house is me, my wife and her mother. If someone wanted to sell the home what would happen. How would this be divided? We never had anything written down. There was just a verbal agreement about once the in-laws pass how to split the house

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Terrence H Thorgaard
Terrence H Thorgaard
  • Freeeport, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: If one of you wanted to sell the home, the proceeds would be divided three ways, equally. As I understand it, you, your wife, and her mother own the property and your mother-in-law, and her husband live in the house. The house could be sold subject to the lease (if all three owners agree), but it would probably be a good idea to see an attorney now, about reducing the arrangement to writing.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.