Atlanta, GA asked in Divorce for Georgia

Q: Ga native, moved to FL for 1yr now getting a divorce and moved back home to GA. There's no way for me to file now?

We were married in Ga 7yrs ago. This is the first time I've ever lived out of state and it was only for 1yr. I just moved back a month ago. He is now living with his girlfriend still in Florida. It is completely 100% uncontested and we have agreed on EVERYTHING. Do I really have to wait 6 months before being able to even file??

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Regina Irene Edwards
Regina Irene Edwards pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Lawrenceville, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: The law requires that you have to be a resident for 6 months before filing. You can speak to an attorney about whether the temporary time in Florida makes you have to start over with the 6 months.

Alake Colwell Furlow
Alake Colwell Furlow
  • Dacula, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: You should speak to an attorney directly regarding your divorce filing. Then they can determine if you permanently changed your residence previously or not.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.