Saint Paul, MN asked in Workers' Compensation for Minnesota

Q: I have a workers comp claim. I am at MMI with no permanent disability rating. Can I still get a settlement?

I have been cut off of TTD benefits due to the IME report of me being cleared to work. My doctor says a spinal injection is needed for my injuries and have taken me off work completely until this procedure is approved and completed. There is also a NOID, a .239 Conference scheduled to dispute the findings of the IME report.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Jeremiah Sisk
Jeremiah Sisk
  • Workers' Compensation Lawyer
  • Coon Rapids, MN
  • Licensed in Minnesota

A: Yes, it will depend on a variety of factors. First, you should consider whether settlement is the best option. Even though you were not assigned a permanent partial disability rating doesn’t mean your injury is not permanent. In Minnesota Worker’s Compensation benefits can be available for you in certain situations for the rest of your life. Therefore, there may be future benefits you would be giving up if you settle. Second, you would want to explore what potential benefits you’d be giving up in exchange for a settlement. Lastly, settlement is dictated by the parties, whether both sides want to settle. In other words, even though you may want to settle, it does not mean that the insurance company is willing to resolve your case.

Good luck and feel free to reach out for a free consultation.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.