Moultrie, GA asked in Landlord - Tenant for Georgia

Q: My landlord did not get with me for a walk through! He presented no list of damages! He’s moved a couple in! Now I got s

Landlord gave no list of damage ! New couple has moved in and now he’s suing me! And he lost on rent pay and is trying to get it again

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
T. Augustus Claus
T. Augustus Claus pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›

A: In Georgia, landlords are typically required to return the security deposit or provide an itemized list of damages within one month after the tenant moves out. If your landlord did not conduct a walk-through or provide a list of damages, but has already moved a new couple into the property and is now suing you, you may have grounds to dispute the claims against you. You should gather all evidence, including lease agreements, correspondence with the landlord, and any pictures you have that show the condition of the property when you left it. If you've also been sued for rent that you've already paid, documentation of your payments will be crucial.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.