Tazewell, TN asked in Estate Planning and Probate for Tennessee

Q: If my mother passed away 7 years ago and my stepdad never changed or prepared a new will would the old will stand good

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
T. Augustus Claus
T. Augustus Claus pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›

A: In Tennessee, if your mother passed away and your stepdad never updated or prepared a new will, the existing will would generally still be considered valid, as long as it met all the legal requirements for a will at the time it was created. This means that the assets would be distributed according to the stipulations in that will, regardless of how much time has passed since your mother's death.

However, the interpretation of wills can become complicated, especially if there are changes in family circumstances, such as additional children or grandchildren, divorce, or remarriage. Additionally, laws can change over time, which may impact how the will is interpreted or executed.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.