Asked in Domestic Violence and Criminal Law for Georgia

Q: Is there any hope to get a domestic dispute case dismissed if I’ve been charged of battery?

My fiancé and I got into a domestic dispute and they arrested me and charged me with battery and put an order of protection in place both of us are ignorant on the law and want the case dismissed we shouldn’t have called the police they just made our already extremely stressful lives so much more stressful she’s put an appeal in place to take her statement back and she sent a victim impact statement saying she wants the case dismissed and that the police just made the situation worse and she regrets calling them please help I’m running out of options and they’re saying I have to wait a year or more to even get a court date all the while I can’t talk to or see her. I cannot do this as I’m sure the person reading this will understand if you have a wife or fiancé we are not abusing each other we simply had an argument and the police are taking advantage of us and trumping up the charges against me. Again please help me I’m running out of options and I’m extremely stressed out about this.

1 Lawyer Answer
Joshua Schiffer
Joshua Schiffer
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Roswell, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: This is a regular and routine issue. The State insists on taking actions against a couple over objection and without having full context.

They are trying to fulfill their mandate of protecting but as is so often the case the Government is not fully appraised of the situation.

Bite the bullet and hire a solid private LOCAL lawyer, one who has a relationship with the local agencies as this one is going to be about talking it out rather than a big fight.

Get ahead of this NOW, and do not wait. Do NOT DIY this, as with the TPO and bond issues you are begging for the State to play to their strenghts.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.