Pittsburgh, PA asked in Family Law, Social Security, Civil Rights and Juvenile Law for Pennsylvania

Q: Parent withholding 18-year-old child’s social security card and photo ID

My younger sibling is 18 and graduated high school but is still living with our mom.

My sibling doesn’t have a job or bank account yet. My sibling has a PA photo ID, but our mom insists on keeping it in a “safe place” because she wants to control my sibling. (She refuses to accept that my sibling is nonbinary and doesn’t want them to update their photo ID to show their preferred name.) Same with birth certificate and social security card; she won’t even let my sibling learn their ssn.

I know from similar forum posts that the simplest solution is for my sibling to request their own copy of their ssn card. But can they do that if they don’t have their photo ID or know their ssn?

Our mom seems willing to let my sibling borrow their photo ID and ssn card for a job interview, but will likely demand them back after my sibling gets set up at their new job. My sibling could write down their ssn in that scenario, but they might need to know their ssn sooner (e.g. to register to vote.)

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: Your sibling can request a replacement Social Security card by providing documents to prove their identity, such as a passport or driver's license. If they don't have those documents, they may need to contact the Social Security Administration for guidance on alternative methods of verification. Additionally, they can inquire about their Social Security Number (SSN) through the Social Security Administration to regain access to that information.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.