Asked in Immigration Law for Indiana

Q: Remove conditions on greencard

Do I have to be married for 2 years at the time I get my greencard or do I have to be married for 2 years at the time I apply for the green card to not have to deal with having to remove conditions?

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Carlo Franco L. Borja
Carlo Franco L. Borja
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Diamond Bar, CA

A: If you immigrated to the United States as a spouse of a U.S. citizen before the second anniversary of your marriage, you get a conditional green card

James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: To receive a conditional green card based on marriage, the marriage must be less than two years old at the time the green card is granted. If you have been married for more than two years when your green card is approved, you will typically receive a permanent 10-year green card without conditions. On the other hand, if your marriage is less than two years old when the green card is granted, you will receive a conditional 2-year green card. To remove these conditions and obtain a 10-year green card, you will need to file a joint petition during the 90 days before the 2-year card expires, demonstrating that the marriage is genuine.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.