McDonough, GA asked in Child Support and Family Law for Georgia

Q: If my case was closed, five years ago, can my daughters mother reopen it in charge me five years worth of in arrears

The mother and I made a verbal agreement about paying support plus other things. She found out I was in a relationship and my case was reopened. because I wasn’t paying the full amount of child support which is why we stop the child support in the first place due to the way I work by the job and not by the month. so she felt like to get back at me. She put me back on child support which I have no problem with but the problem I have is they added up all the child support I have been giving her per our agreement over the last five years which she’s never had a problem with over the last 5 yrs, and subtracted it form what the order was and it and put me $16,000 in the rear I’ve never been in the rears with child support at any time even when I was on child support, so how is that possible if my case was closed five years ago and we have an agreement that they can automatically put me in the rears. They also charge me for Covid lockdown. And we all got a stimulus. What can I do

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Alake Colwell Furlow
Alake Colwell Furlow
  • Dacula, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: Closing a child support case doesn’t stop the child support. Closing the case stops child support enforcement of the order. Also, when she agreed to a lesser amount, that didn’t change the courts order. So anything less than the order you weren’t paying she could ask the court to order that you pay. So yes, she can come back and ask for all the child support that you were ordered to pay.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.