Erie, PA asked in Immigration Law for Pennsylvania

Q: I'd like to consult on transferring my L1B visa to a new employer. What's the process, potential challenges, documents.

I am currently on an L1B visa sponsored by 'Tata Consultancy Services' and I am considering a job change. I would like to seek your professional advice regarding the process of transferring my L1B visa to the new employer.

specifically, I have questions regarding the potential challenges, documentation required and the timeline for the visa transfer and any considerations in my case.

Your expertise in immigration matters would be greatly appreciated, and I am interested in scheduling a consultation to discuss this further.

Thanks, you for your time and assistance.



Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Daniel Martin Hartzman,
Daniel Martin Hartzman,
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Pittsburgh, PA
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: You would not be able to transfer an L-1B visa to a new employer. You would have to have your new employer file for a different type of work visa.

1 user found this answer helpful

James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: Transferring an L1B visa directly to a new employer is not possible in the way that H1B visas can be transferred. If you wish to change jobs, the new employer would need to sponsor a different type of visa for you, such as an H1B or another applicable category. The specific process, timeline, and documentation required would depend on the type of visa you'd be transitioning to. Some challenges include navigating annual caps on certain visas like the H1B, meeting eligibility requirements, and ensuring timely filing to avoid gaps in status. Given the complexities, it's essential to have a well-planned transition strategy. I recommend discussing your specific situation and goals during a detailed consultation to better assess the best path forward. Having the correct information and strategy is key to ensuring a smooth visa transition.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.