Mount Juliet, TN asked in Criminal Law and Civil Rights for Tennessee

Q: what can be done after a guilty plea if the judge and state ignore exculpatory discovery requests?

also there are many clear violations of the rules of judicial conduct and Tenn Sup Ct Rule10B

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Anthony M. Avery
Anthony M. Avery pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Knoxville, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: If the plea just occurred, a motion to withdraw plea should be filed immediately. If the Judgment of Conviction has not been entered, there is a chance of quashing the guilty plea. If later, then withdrawal is iffy. Otherwise an appeal of the Sentence may be the only real option besides a post-conviction pleading for ineffective assistance of counsel. Jurisdictional defects might generate a corum novis or habeas corpus. Hire an attorney to examine the case today.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.