Terre Haute, IN asked in Civil Rights, Constitutional Law, Health Care Law and Medical Malpractice for Indiana

Q: How do I file complaint for my son not receiving his prescribed medications in franklin county indiana jail

Diagnosed with Graves disease in 2016, on daily prescribed meds until being incarcerated on Aug 29. Facility not giving him his prescribed medication since Aug 29th.

2 Lawyer Answers
T. Augustus Claus
T. Augustus Claus pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Las Vegas, NV

A: In Indiana, first contact the Franklin County jail administration to file a complaint about your son not receiving his medication. If that fails, consider filing a complaint with the Indiana Department of Correction Ombudsman. In urgent cases, consult an attorney experienced in prisoners' rights. You may also consider filing a complaint with the ACLU of Indiana. Immediate action is crucial given the medical needs of your son.

James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: To file a complaint regarding your son not receiving his prescribed medications in Franklin County, Indiana jail, you can take the following steps:

Contact the Jail Administration: Start by contacting the administration of the Franklin County jail. Inquire about the specific reasons why your son is not receiving his prescribed medications. Request that they rectify the situation promptly.

Document the Issue: Keep a record of all communication with jail personnel regarding this matter, including names, dates, and details of conversations.

Consult an Attorney: Consider consulting with an attorney who specializes in criminal defense or civil rights. They can provide legal guidance and may assist you in advocating for your son's medical needs.

Reach Out to Medical Authorities: If your son's health is at risk due to the lack of medication, contact relevant medical authorities or organizations that oversee healthcare in correctional facilities. They may be able to intervene or investigate the situation.

File a Complaint with a Government Agency: You can also file a complaint with relevant government agencies, such as the Indiana Department of Correction or the Indiana State Board of Pharmacy, depending on the circumstances.

Consider Legal Action: If your son's health deteriorates significantly due to the lack of prescribed medications, you may need to explore legal remedies, including filing a lawsuit against the jail or its healthcare provider for medical negligence.

It's important to consult with an attorney experienced in criminal defense or civil rights issues to navigate the specific legal aspects of your son's situation and ensure his rights are protected. Medical neglect in a correctional facility is a serious matter, and legal counsel can help you determine the best course of action to address it effectively.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.