Carlsbad, NM asked in Family Law and Child Custody for New Mexico

Q: My ex-husband left the state in 2021 and has been no contact with our daughter since is filing for abandonment possible?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
T. Augustus Claus
T. Augustus Claus pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›

A: In New Mexico, filing for abandonment might be an option if your ex-husband has had no contact with your daughter for an extended period. Generally, abandonment is defined as the deliberate act of relinquishing all rights and claims to a child. Legal requirements may vary, so it's important to consult local laws and possibly an attorney to evaluate the specifics of your situation. Keep all evidence of lack of contact, such as unanswered texts, emails, or letters, as they can serve as proof in court.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.