Thornton, CO asked in Divorce and Family Law for Colorado

Q: My spouse's response to me filing for divorce is to ask the court to enter orders on property division and maintenance.

What does that mean? He has an attorney, I'm poor and don't have one. Thank you

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Christopher N. Little
Christopher N. Little
  • Centennial, CO
  • Licensed in Colorado

A: Great question!

First, I am very sorry to hear that you are going through this; divorce is generally associated with difficult times in folks' lives and I feel for you. To answer your question, your spouse has asked the Court to enter Orders concerning all of the property subject to division (commonly referred to as the marital estate) and to enter Orders concerning spousal maintenance (commonly known as alimony). That means that these topics are going to be addressed in your divorce case.

I am also very sorry to hear about your financial condition; I highly suggest that you contact Metro Volunteer Lawyers to see if you qualify for their services. Their link is as follows:

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.