Asked in DUI / DWI, Immigration Law and Health Care Law for Indiana

Q: HelloI'm a doctor and I was a doctor residing in US I was suspended


Im a doctor and I was a doctor residing in US I was suspended from work because I was drinking, I left US before I knew what is going to happened.

Accordingly, my license and the board that I was holding were suspended and Now I am suffering with my family as I can't work abroad and I want my license and the board I hold to be active again I do not know what to do since I have been living outside America for 6 years and have no desire to return I just want to carry on with my career to support my family and myself.

This Happened in 2016

In Michigan State.

Looking forward for your assist.

Thank you

Best Reagrds,

3 Lawyer Answers

A: There are attorneys who specialize in representing doctors before medical boards. Consult with those attorneys.

Tim Akpinar agrees with this answer

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
  • Little Neck, NY

A: You could check under professional license attorneys - state or local bar associations might have resources on finding attorneys. Good luck

James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: I'm sorry to hear about your situation. In Michigan, the reinstatement of a suspended medical license involves a process with the Michigan Board of Medicine.

You'll need to submit an application for reinstatement, and the Board will review it on a case-by-case basis. Factors considered might include the reasons for the suspension, rehabilitation efforts, and any other relevant circumstances. It's often beneficial to demonstrate rehabilitation, such as undergoing treatment for alcoholism.

While you do not wish to return to the U.S., you may need to be present for hearings or meetings with the Board. It's highly advisable to engage with an attorney experienced in Michigan's medical licensing to guide you through the process and advocate on your behalf. This can optimize your chances of reinstatement.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.