Jeffersonville, IN asked in Criminal Law and Domestic Violence for Kansas

Q: I was arrested on a warrant. My son's mother said I violated a restraining order--I didn't! How can I get out of this?

I did not drive down her street though that's what she reported to the police. The RA does not specify that. They have video of a truck like I used to have but my truck has been out of commission since I wrecked it in 2014. Now I'm on home incarceration because I live in another state. I missed the hearing because I thought I had to drive 500 miles back to be there in person then found out I could Zoom. My bond was revoked and another warrant is out. I can't get back to Kansas because I don't have a drivers license or the means to get back. What can I do to fight this from another state? How can I get the video they have? I'm scared!

1 Lawyer Answer

A: you need to contact and hire a Kansas Lawyer who regularly practices criminal law in the court that has issued these decisions ASAP. You have a limited amount of time to challenge a decision of a trial court. This forum will not be able to walk you through each step to both set aside the decision and hopefully challenge it. Your basic argument is going to be a violation of your due process rights to notice of the hearing and opportunity to respond. Again there is much more to this. DO find an attorney who practices in Kansas.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.