Greeneville, TN asked in Estate Planning, Family Law, Real Estate Law and Probate for Tennessee

Q: My boyfriend's mom & dad left their house to him when they died but didn't have a will. No one will comply.

Both his brothers don't want it put in his name because he is currently in jail. But they are trying to make me leave even though my boyfriend wants me to stay. There wasn't a will made but his sister was the executor of the estate & she knows it was supposed to be left to him. What if anything can I do to help get it put in his name

1 Lawyer Answer
Anthony M. Avery
Anthony M. Avery pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Knoxville, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: Hire a competent lawyer to draft, execute and record an Affidavit of Heirship as the source of title. But all tenants in common can remove you from possession.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.