Omaha, NE asked in Divorce and Family Law for Colorado

Q: My ex tells me that he is retiring next year. I don’t care what he says, the way that our divorce was written in Larimer

In Larimer county, the way that it was written it said nothing about him not paying me when he retired. We were married for 15 years and as far as I researched, Larimer county is the only county that does not follow the states divorce law!

He is a veterinarian who lives in wealth in the second wealthiest city in the state, Evergreen. He married a very wealthy woman. And I have done research. I am a disabled woman and I have had MS since I was 25. In other words, the divorce was his idea and my heart doesn’t bleed for him. He left me with more than $80,000 of debt! I just turned 60 and I could not afford an attorney living on a fixed income. I was homeless until my fathers special trust bought me a mobile home in Florence CO.

I think it would do me well to have an attorney represent me as we get closer to next year. And, I have no way to find an extra income, I think my manual wheelchair puts employers off? I don’t believe it should cost me much to simply have my attorney.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Christopher N. Little
Christopher N. Little
  • Centennial, CO
  • Licensed in Colorado

A: Hi There,

I am very sorry to hear about what you are going through right now and what you have been through. More than anything, from your post, it sounds like you are looking for legal representation that is responsive to your financial condition; which is completely understandable. I highly suggest that you contact Metro Volunteer Lawyers, based out of Denver, CO. They are an amazing resource and can be reached at: (303) 830-8210.

I sincerely wish you and yours only the absolute best.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.