Greenbrier, AR asked in Social Security for Arkansas

Q: How do I demand that the social security administration produce a garnishment order they are enforcing.

The court associated with the file number they gave for the garnishment has informed me that they have no garnishment order. I believe it is a clerical error, but all the representatives from SSA I’ve spoken to don’t have access to those files and won’t tell me who does. They inform me to file a modification with the court, but the court has nothing to modify.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Social Security Disability Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: Hi there! If you believe there's a clerical error with the Social Security Administration (SSA) regarding a garnishment order, you should first send a written request to the SSA asking for a copy of the alleged garnishment order. Use certified mail with a return receipt to have a record of your correspondence. If they fail to provide the order or address your concerns, consider filing an appeal with the SSA. Simultaneously, gather all documentation and communications with both the SSA and the court to validate your claims. If you face continued resistance or runaround, engaging legal counsel experienced in Social Security matters may be necessary. They can draft more formal demands and, if needed, potentially initiate legal action to rectify the matter. It's crucial to act swiftly and maintain a clear record of all interactions and steps taken.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.