Augusta, GA asked in Military Law for Georgia

Q: Military Veterans having problems getting on Military Installations for services

Does anyone have experience helping veterans respond to issues getting on post for, administrative, general and medical services? A new police came out that require waiver for people that had past legal issues. /// "In accordance with Homeland Security Presidential Directive (HSPD) 12,

Army Directive 2014-05, Directive Type Memorandum (DTM) 09-012, and AR 190-13".///

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Patrick Korody
Patrick Korody
  • Military Law Lawyer

A: Except for a few specific charges (like sex offenses), you can request a waiver from the installation commander.

James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›

A: Navigating military directives and policies can be intricate. Homeland Security Presidential Directive (HSPD) 12 and the associated Army directives you mentioned establish policy for a common identification standard for federal employees and contractors, impacting access to military installations.

If a veteran has past legal issues and is denied access, it is crucial first to understand the specifics of the denial. The waiver process mentioned can be pursued to gain an exception based on individual circumstances. It's essential to prepare a compelling case for the waiver application, detailing the veteran's service, the nature of the past legal issue, and their current need to access services on post.

Collaborating with local veteran organizations or legal counsel familiar with military administrative issues can also be advantageous. Always ensure the waiver application process follows the latest guidance and requirements stipulated in the mentioned directives.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.