Albuquerque, NM asked in Criminal Law and Family Law for New Mexico

Q: How would I be able to get information on my incarcerated fiancé that has been hospitalized

I have POA of my fiancé tht is incarcerated

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
T. Augustus Claus
T. Augustus Claus pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Las Vegas, NV

A: In New Mexico, if you have Power of Attorney (POA) over your incarcerated fiancé, it might grant you access to certain information about his well-being and medical status, depending on the specifics of the POA document. You should start by contacting the facility where he is incarcerated and informing them of your POA. If he's been hospitalized, the facility should be able to tell you which hospital he's in. From there, you can contact the hospital and provide them with the POA, so they can disclose information about his condition. It's crucial to understand the scope of your POA, as not all POAs grant the same rights or access to information. For personalized legal advice tailored to your unique circumstances, it's advisable to consult with an attorney.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.