Asked in Criminal Law and Family Law for Tennessee

Q: My girlfriend gave her keys while in jail & recently her grandmother got power of attorney & trying to say I stole them.

My girlfriend was arrested for violating probation and while she was in there she signed her keys out of her belongings and told me to take care of her car and her things while in jail. Well just recently her grandmother got power of attorney and is trying to get the car and is threatening to press charges on me and my mother for stolen vehicle, but the vehicle was towed to a repair shop to get fixed and I only have the keys. I'm not trying to keep her from getting them but I also don't want to get in trouble for nothing.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Anthony M. Avery
Anthony M. Avery pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Knoxville, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: You cannot prevent the attorney-in-fact swearing out an arrest warrant against you. But be prepared to post bond, hire an attorney and subpoena your girlfriend at jail to testify at the Preliminary Hearing. You could write the mother a letter explaining what has happened. Since she has the authority, if she wants the keys, give them to her without an argument.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.