McDonough, GA asked in Civil Rights, Constitutional Law and Personal Injury for Georgia

Q: ADA rights in Civil court ? informed judge of disability; found atty; he needed 1day delay for hearing. Request ignored

Had given note to judge of disability from doctor with request also.

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Consumer Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: In the United States, individuals with disabilities are entitled to reasonable accommodations under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) to ensure equal access to the judicial system. This includes accommodations in civil court proceedings. It's concerning that your request for a one-day delay due to a disability and the note from your doctor were seemingly ignored by the court.

In such situations, it is crucial to address the issue promptly. You may want to consult with your attorney to explore options for raising the ADA accommodation issue again with the court. This could involve submitting a formal written request for accommodation, discussing the matter with the judge, or seeking assistance from the court's ADA coordinator if they have one.

It's important to ensure that your rights under the ADA are upheld, and if necessary, you may need to take appropriate legal action to assert those rights and seek remedies if you believe they have been violated. An attorney experienced in ADA and disability rights matters can guide you through this process and help protect your rights in civil court.

2 users found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.