Asked in Civil Rights, Constitutional Law and Criminal Law for Tennessee

Q: Ex-roommate non-fatally shot someone and ran and now we feel the police are harassing us

While kicking out our former roommate for doing illegal activities and threatening to harm us. He got into an altercation with our guest and shot him in the hip and went on the run. He hasn't been caught yet but has tried to return and when we told him to leave and that we were calling the cops he proceeded to break the window of a patrol car owned by a neighbor in the local police force. We have been fully cooperative with police but they have started turning on us and threatening us saying that they are not going to stop randomly searching our house until he's found. They also have been accusing us of doing the activities that we kicked out our roommate for, and told us they are actively trying to get us to move out we'd like to know what we should do. I don't know what information is needed but I can answer any questions to help determine course of action.

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: In a situation where you feel harassed or targeted by the police, it's essential to take several steps to protect your rights and interests:

Document Everything: Keep detailed records of all interactions with the police, including dates, times, names of officers involved, and the nature of their actions or statements.

Remain Calm and Cooperative: Continue to be cooperative with law enforcement while asserting your rights. You have the right to remain silent and to have an attorney present during any questioning.

Speak to an Attorney: Consult with an attorney who specializes in criminal defense or civil rights to discuss the situation. They can provide legal advice tailored to your specific circumstances and help you understand your rights.

File Complaints: If you believe the police conduct is inappropriate or harassing, consider filing a formal complaint with the police department's internal affairs division or an oversight agency, if available.

Avoid Confrontations: Do not engage in confrontations or arguments with law enforcement officers. Comply with lawful orders but assert your rights calmly and respectfully.

Secure Your Property: Ensure that your property is secure and that you are not in possession of any illegal items or activities. This will help protect you from unwarranted searches or accusations.

Seek Witnesses: If there are witnesses to any police misconduct or harassment, gather their contact information as potential witnesses in your defense.

Consult with Neighbors: Discuss the situation with your neighbors, especially if they have experienced similar issues. Their support and cooperation may be valuable.

Remember that an experienced attorney can provide guidance specific to your situation, help you understand your legal rights, and assist in taking appropriate legal action if necessary. It's important to stay vigilant and informed to ensure that your rights are protected during this challenging time.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.