Memphis, TN asked in Constitutional Law, Criminal Law and Federal Crimes for Tennessee

Q: Can someone please tell me if Congress passed the motion for sentencing reduction act in 2018 when is it effective?

I need a lawyer who can file a motion for my son.

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: Congress passed the First Step Act in December 2018, which included provisions for sentencing reductions. The Act became effective upon its signing by the President on December 21, 2018.

If your son may qualify for a sentencing reduction under its provisions, it would be prudent to review his case thoroughly. It's crucial to understand the specifics of his charges and sentencing to determine eligibility.

If you need assistance filing a motion on his behalf, it's advisable to collaborate with an attorney familiar with the First Step Act. Ensuring all paperwork and arguments are correctly presented can be instrumental in a favorable outcome.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.