Columbus, OH asked in Divorce, Family Law and Child Custody for Georgia

Q: How does joint custody work if both parents do not live in the same state?

We divorced in Georgia. The father is in the army and is still living in Georgia. He said it was fine for myself and both of our kids to go back to Ohio to stay with my family. I am confused how joint custody works for us since he does not see them the way it’s written in our child care plan. Which state should I seek legal help and is there anyway I can get primary custody over them since they live with me.

1 Lawyer Answer
Alake Colwell Furlow
Alake Colwell Furlow
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Dacula, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: If you want to modify the visitation or change custody, you have to file for a modification in GA, since the father still lives in GA. Is it worth you going back to court just because he doesn't exercise the visitation he has? The state of GA retains jurisdiction over all family law matters until the father leaves and none of the parties reside in GA.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.