Mount Arlington, NJ asked in Child Support, Divorce and Family Law for New York

Q: How much would the fee be to be represented by a lawyer concerning support order and divorce.

I my name is Tamika I live in the state of Jersey child support case open up in New York. Absent parent hasn't paid since July of this year, in need of a family court lawyer to assist With support application order and a divorce. Thank you if someone will come and get back to me concerning this message I greatly appreciate it.

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›

A: Legal fees can vary widely based on a number of factors including the complexity of your case, the attorney's experience level, and the customary rates in your geographic area. For a child support order and divorce, some attorneys may charge a flat fee for certain services, while others might bill by the hour. It's common for lawyers to require a retainer upfront, which is a deposit that goes into a trust account.

To get a clear understanding of potential costs, you should contact several attorneys, explain your situation, and ask for an estimate. Most attorneys offer an initial consultation, which may or may not be free, to discuss such matters. Remember to inquire about what services are included in their fee and any additional costs that may arise during the proceedings. It's important to have a clear agreement about fees and services before proceeding with representation.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.