Atlanta, GA asked in Landlord - Tenant for Tennessee

Q: Landlord asked me to pay 2700$ which includes by 500$ deposit after I vacated the apartment.

Landlord asked me to pay 2700$ which includes by 500$ deposit after I vacated the apartment. The management gave an itemized bill made by them. As it is a lot of money and I dont trust the management that well as they have lied to me before about some other issues which happened in past months.

I asked them to provide be the bills given by the repair company itself. But they are refusing to give me the bill and saying that they are busy. I just want to know if there is a law that we can i force the landlord to give the actual bills from the repair company?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: In Tennessee, if a landlord makes a claim on a tenant's security deposit, the landlord must give the tenant a written notice detailing the reason for retaining any portion of the deposit. While the statute does not expressly require landlords to provide copies of actual repair bills, asking for these bills is reasonable, especially if you dispute the charges. If you believe the charges are inflated or unjustified, you can consider pursuing the matter in small claims court, where the landlord would likely need to present evidence of the actual costs.

Additionally, the Tennessee Consumer Protection Act may provide some protection against deceptive business practices. It would be beneficial to consult with a local attorney to discuss your specific situation, review the itemized bill, and determine the best approach to ensure you're treated fairly. Remember to keep all written communication with your landlord for potential future reference.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.