Knoxville, TN asked in Family Law and Child Custody for Tennessee

Q: When a DNA test comes back that I have a biological child, what is the process for signing my rights over?

I was in a relationship 4 years ago. Significant other got pregnant. We were together through whole pregnancy and 2 months after child was born I was, I was told it’s not mine. DNA test with the other man’s mother came back she is the paternal grandmother. Fast forward 3 years, I get served papers for child support. I already have an 11 year old and she is afraid and uncomfortable around the alleged child’s mother. If the child turns out to be mine, I feel it will make my daughter be afraid to be around me in fear that the ex may show up and ruin mine and her mother co parenting relationship that we’ve worked hard on. I would rather sign the rights over than have my daughter feel uncomfortable to be with me.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Anthony M. Avery
Anthony M. Avery pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Knoxville, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: If the DNA is positive, you probably will not be given the chance to terminate your rights. Obviously the mother (or the State) is after you for child support. Probably should hire an attorney now.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.