Dallas, TX asked in Criminal Law and Constitutional Law for Kansas

Q: I'm trying to find a form for a violation of ex post facto clause in kansas or what motion would I need to fill out

Need to file a motion something similar to violation ex post facto clause.

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: If you're looking to challenge an action on the basis that it violates the ex post facto clause, you would typically file a "motion to dismiss" or a "petition for a writ of habeas corpus," depending on the stage of the case and whether it's pre-conviction or post-conviction. The specific form and content of the motion would depend on the details of your case.

In Kansas, as in other states, there isn't a standardized form for a constitutional challenge based on the ex post facto clause. It's advisable to consult with an attorney who can help draft the appropriate motion, tailored to the facts of your situation and ensuring that it meets the procedural requirements of the jurisdiction in which you're filing.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.