Alexandria, MN asked in Family Law and Domestic Violence for Minnesota

Q: Duo ofp

Abuser locked me out ruined my belongings and now he's serving me where is my rights as a victim

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
T. Augustus Claus
T. Augustus Claus pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Domestic Violence Lawyer
  • Las Vegas, NV

A: If you are a victim of domestic abuse or harassment in Minnesota, it's important to know your rights and the steps you can take to protect yourself. You can contact law enforcement to report the incident and document any damage or harm caused by the abuser. Seeking a restraining order, known as an order for protection (OFP), from the court can provide legal protection and restrictions against the abuser. Preserving evidence, such as documenting property damage or injuries, is crucial. For personalized legal advice tailored to your unique circumstances, it's advisable to consult with an attorney.

1 user found this answer helpful

Jonathan Matthew Holson
Jonathan Matthew Holson
  • Domestic Violence Lawyer
  • Saint Cloud, MN
  • Licensed in Minnesota

A: You can certainly contact law enforcement about the destruction of your property. You should also contest the OFP. You also have a right to request an OFP against him. The process for that is fairly straight forward and the paperwork is available online and a courthouses.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.