Duluth, MN asked in Family Law for Minnesota

Q: how do i get something off my background?

2017 had a chips case but did everything i was suppose to kids came home but now its costinmg me jobs because it shows up on my background as maltreatment of a minor

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
T. Augustus Claus
T. Augustus Claus pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›

A: To address a past incident affecting your job prospects due to a maltreatment of a minor charge from 2017, consider these steps:

Ensure compliance: Ensure you have met all court orders and probation requirements related to the case. This can bolster your case for expungement.

Verify background check accuracy: Confirm the accuracy of information provided by background check companies. Incorrect or outdated data can negatively impact your job search.

Be honest with employers: If expungement isn't possible, be forthright with potential employers about your past. Explain the circumstances and highlight your personal growth and rehabilitation since the incident.

For personalized legal advice tailored to your unique circumstances, it's advisable to consult with an attorney.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.