Bountiful, UT asked in Contracts, Copyright and Intellectual Property for Utah

Q: y boyfriend builds decks and in past did for a company that has published photo’s of his work on a national decking web

Not recognizing him as they builder in any article or on discription of the deck .can he sue for not having him recognized as the actual builder ?

2 Lawyer Answers
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›

A: Your boyfriend's ability to pursue legal action for recognition as the builder in published photos of his work would depend on the terms of any contract he had with the company and on copyright laws related to authorship and works made for hire. If there was an agreement that credits him as the creator, or if there's no clear agreement granting the company the right to claim his work as their own without attribution, he might have grounds to seek recognition.

However, without such an agreement, the situation may be more complex. It would be prudent to review the specific circumstances and any relevant documentation with legal counsel to determine the best course of action.

Adam W. Bell
Adam W. Bell
  • Intellectual Property Lawyer
  • SF, CA

A: If he did the work as "work for hire" and was employed by a deceking company, then he has no rights in the images. A law suit is almost certainly more work and money that it's worth. Good luck.

Adam Bell


Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.